Ads 468x60px

Aubameyang targets European crown

The striker wants to help Borussia Dortmund bounce back in the Champions League and believes that he suits the side's counterattacking instincts

Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has his eyes on the European crown having joined the club this summer.

Bayern Munich beat Jurgen Klopp's men at Wembley in May in the Champions League final, but the Gabon international wants to bounce back immediately with continental success though is aware of the threat the Bavarians pose to BVB.

"My dream - and the dream of the whole team - is to be German champions once again and get back [and win] the Champions League final," Aubameyang, 24, told Der Welt. "I hope we can do that in these five years.

"Bayern have a great team and great players. But that you can also beat them, as you saw in DFL-Supercup [which Dortmund won 4-2]. Nevertheless, Bayern are currently not only the best in Germany but also in Europe."

Aubameyang admitted that he was unable to resist the lure of the Schwarzgelben and believes he fits the counterattacking style Klopp's side play with in the Bundesliga.

"When I heard that BVB has interest in me, I was immediately hooked," the forward added. "I was excited about being part of this team that have progressed in recent years with incredible development.

"And the Dortmund style of play fits in with my philosophy. As an attacking player, I think the same. I simply thought I'd fit and then I immediately wanted to come.

"BVB switch quickly from defence to attack and I'm a fast counterattack player. I think that I can contribute with my good attributes."

In pre-season fitness training this summer, Aubameyang posted a faster time over 30 metres than Olympic 100m champion Usain Bolt, and the striker has jokingly suggested: "Maybe you can even organise a sprint duel between the two of us!"